As founder of Heartland Foot and Ankle Associates, P.C., Dr. Melissa J. Lockwood happily returned to central Illinois in 2008 after seven years in Cleveland, Ohio. She is a graduate of Providence Catholic High School in New Lenox, Illinois. Dr. Lockwood completed her undergraduate degree from the University of Illinois (Urbana/Champaign) in 2001 with a Bachelor of Science in Biology and a minor degree in Chemistry. Dr. Lockwood has a great interest in archaeology and also received a minor degree in Anthropology from the U of I in 2001.
Dr. Lockwood went on to the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine and matriculated with her Podiatric Medical Degree in 2005. While at OCPM, Dr. Lockwood served as both a delegate to the student branch of the APMA as well as President of the Student Government organization (OPMSA). Dr. Lockwood was the recipient of several awards while attending OCPM, including the Ohio Podiatric Medical Association Dr. James Conforti Community Relations Award and the OCPM Mildred Kaufman Memorial Award for Proficiency in Orthopedics and Biomechanics.
Dr. Lockwood arrived in Bloomington following a three year residency in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Lockwood completed a 36 month Podiatric Medical and Surgical Residency Program based out of the University Hospital System/Richmond Heights Medical Center. Dr. Lockwood has extensive training in both forefoot (bunions, hammertoes, neuromas) elective surgical procedures as well as rearfoot reconstruction. She has a special interest in the treatment of sports related injuries, dermatological conditions and diabetic palliative and preventive care. Dr. Lockwood enjoys working with patients one on one in a clinical setting and chatting about her favorite sports teams!
Dr. Lockwood, her husband Scott and daughter Lauren can be found rooting on the Illini, Redbirds, Chicago Bears, and White Sox!
|Providence Catholic High School, New Lenox, Illinois
College Preparatory Program
Date of Graduation: May 1997
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois
Bachelor of Science, Biology
Date of Graduation: May 2001
Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
Date of Graduation: May 2005
University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center/OCPM PM&S-36
July 2005-June 2008
- NBPME Part I (2003)
- NBPME Boards Part II (2005)
- NBPME Boards Part III - PM Lexus (2005)
- State of Illinois Licensure (2008)
- Board Certified, American Board of Podiatric Medicine (2012)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Illinois State Scholar (1997)
- OCPM Academic Scholarship (2001)
- OCPM Dean's List (2004)
- OPMA Dr. James Conforti Community Relations Award (2005)
- OCPM Mildred Kaufman Memorial Award for Proficiency in Orthopedics and Biomechanics (2005)
- University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center Outstanding Podiatric Resident (2008)
- AAPPM, Board of Trustee (2012-Present)
- President, Ohio Podiatric Medical Student's Association 2002-2004
- Delegate, American Podiatric Medical Student's Association 2002-2004
- Chairman - President's Committee, American Podiatric Medical Student's Association Feb. 2004
- Member - KSUCPM Board of Trustees (2002-2004)
- APMA/IPMA member at large
- AAWP, Featured Speaker
- Member, Sigma Kappa National Sorority, Theta Chapter
- Advisory Board Chairman, Sigma Kappa National Sorority, Eta Chapter
- Board Member, Bloomington Rotary Club
- Distinguished Member, McLean County Chamber of Commerce
- Enjoys bowling, swimming, and watching the Illini and Chicago Bears
Please feel free to contact Dr. Lockwood by clicking here.