Patients often present to the office with questions about public hygiene. In general, it is best practice to always have on foot wear (even if it is a flip flop!!) when out in a public area. Pools, gyms, and beaches are three areas where there is known to be a lot of bacteria and fungus on all surfaces. It is important to protect your feet with the following tips:
AT THE GYM:
· Always wear shoes (even to and from the shower!!)
· Wear clean socks with every workout
· Spray shoes with an antifungal spray (Mycomist) and let them air out after a workout to prevent fungus and bacteria buildup.
· Protect your feet with anti-fungal socks, sprays, and creams to minimize your risk of catching any annoying infections while you are trying to get healthy!
AT THE POOL:
· Flip flops are a MUST on pool decks – fungus AND bacteria can live on those surfaces. Chlorine will kill most in the pool, but it is better to be safe when walking on hard surfaces.
· A clean hand towel to dry your feet
· Anti-fungal spray (Mycomist) for your flip flops after you are done at the pool – and don’t forget to let them air dry out!!
AT THE BEACH:
· Shoes are a MUST here simply because of the debris that can wash up and cut or scratch your feet – it is okay to wear flip flops but a more structured sandal would be best because walking on sand is pretty hard without some support!
· Make sure to wash your feet after a walk on the beach to clear off any sand or other materials that can cause irritation to your skin.
· A clean towel to dry your feet
Following these easy tips will help alleviate the need for a trip to our office for a nasty fungal or bacterial infection and can help you enjoy your activities that much more!!