I love nail polish - the way it makes your hands and feet look, the way it makes you feel, and the touch of style it can add to any outfit. But it may surprise you to know that there are a lot of harmful ingredients used in making nail polish. Formaldehyde, Toluene and DBP (Dibutyl Phthalate) are three chemicals, often referred to as the ''toxic trio", that pose significant health risks. They are not only toxic to the environment, but they can be absorbed into the body through the nail bed and also by breathing in the fumes. Make sure these harmful chemicals are NOT in your polish:
- Formaldehyde acts as a nail hardener and helps to prevent your nails from chipping. It is a known human carcinogen and can cause allergic reactions, headaches, aggravate asthma, and irritate the nose and eyes. This harmful chemical is especially bad for women as it can cause reproductive issues including infertility. Formaldehyde can even cause cancer and damage your organs!
- Instead make sure to apply a base coat, top coat, keep polish layers thin, and always polish the TIP of the nail to prevent chipping.
- Toluene helps your nail polish easy to apply and leaves a smooth glossy finish. Breathing in toluene, even in small amounts, can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-like actions, memory loss, nausea, and loss of appetite. It has also been linked to neurological problems and impaired fetal development.
- Instead use a high quality top coat that leaves your nails high gloss and silky smooth. We recommend Dr.’s Remedy Calming Clear Top Coat. It uses organic wheat protein which naturally delivers high shine.
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) acts as a binder to make the polish last longer. It can cause birth defects, damage the reproductive organs, liver, lungs, and kidneys.
- Instead wait until each polish layer is completely dry before apply the next, don’t use your nails as tools, and dip your nails in ice water after applying the nail polish (as the cold solidifies the nail polish).
- Parabens are chemicals used by cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries as a preservative. Parabens have shown the ability to mimic estrogen, a hormone that can play a role in the development of breast cancer. Another concern is that the estrogen-mimic aspect of parabens may be a factor in the increase of early puberty in girls. Studies have also suggested that parabens may be linked to cancer.
- Instead use a different polish! We use polishes that include natural and organic products, like Dr.'s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish. There is NO reason your polish has to include pharabens!
Think about these facts next time you go for a mani pedi or pick up a new polish. Look for organic and natural products, such as Dr.’s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish. If you have questions or concerns regarding nail polish, want to purchase safe polish, or schedule a healthy pedicure, please contact Healing Steps Spa at Heartland Foot and Ankle Associates at 309-661-9975.