Desiree, our Nail Technician at Healing Steps Spa, gave me some great tips for keeping my nail polish as smooth and easy to use as the day you opened it! She says nail polish can last for about two years. How? Here are her tips:
- Store your polish in a place away from sunlight and in a cool place. Some people keep their nail polish in the refrigerator.
- Keep in mind that some polishes are flammable and safe storage is necessary for fire hazard prevention.
- Before cosmetology school, I would shake my nail polish, this is a big no no. When you shake your polish it causes air bubbles which makes it harder to get a smooth finish. It also changes the chemistry of the polish which makes it unpredictable. Turn your nail polish upside down and gently rub the bottle between the palms of your hands. NEVER SHAKE YOUR BOTTLES!
- When and if your nail polish thickens DO NOT put polish remover in your nail polish. Thick and clumpy nail polish happens when air gets inside the bottle. Apply a nail polish thinner to help with thickness.
- Clean around the opening of the bottle after each use. Letting polish gather around the opening will stop the bottle from closing and allow air to get inside.
- If your lid will not loosen try pouring nail polish remover on the lid which should loosen any dried polish that is creating the seal.
I hope this was helpful, come on in and checkout our nail polish we use here at Healing Steps Spa or call (309)661-9975 if you have any questions we will love to help.