A common concern of patients is possibly contracting an infection from salons or spas. To ease this concern, many patients indulge in Heartland Foot and Ankle’s exclusive in office medi-spa- Healing Steps Spa! Healing Steps Spa is the safe, sanitary, private spa you want, with all the luxurious amenities you deserve. For those who do not go to a spa or salon, here are some quick tips that you can do at home to minimize your risk for a nail infection:
- Always clean your instruments before and after use!
- Before: use a cotton ball soaked with alcohol to gently wipe the free edge of the nippers and nail files.
- After: soak your instruments in boiling water for 5 minutes to fully sterilize them!
- Never share Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.. Sharing polish is one sure fire way to spread germs, both bacteria (staph infections – remember when Paula Abdul had that nail infection?) and fungus.
- Use Natural, anti-fungal nail polish only – stay away from those harsh chemicals like formaldehyde, toluene, and DHP with your home mani/pedis.
- Change your polish every 2 weeks – that way you can have your ‘eyes on the prize’ and if there are changes to your nails, you can address them right away.
If you do notice a change in your nails, or you may have clipped them back a little far, be sure to get it checked out right away to avoid long term issues.
Remember that Heartland Foot and Ankle and Healing Steps Spa are here to provide you with all the podiatric care you need!