Families are wonderful and are all about SHARING! One thing that you do not want to share with your family is a fungal skin infection, like athlete's foot. Sometimes people will have a fungus for a long time and other family members never seem to get infected. This is because of a person’s individual immunity and resistance to that particular fungus bug. Other times, it can seem as though EVERYONE gets the bug (our family was blessed with strep throat last winter, yuck!). It is important to practice great foot hygiene no matter what to protect yourself AND your family! Some “must do” tips for keeping that itchy skin fungus away:
- Wash your feet thoroughly with a mild soap every day- even between the toes!
- Dry your feet thoroughly after washing- again…even between the toes!
- Wear clean, dry socks daily- we prefer cotton ones with a microfiber blend with copper in them to further retard fungal and bacterial growth, such as Aetrex Copper Sole Socks.
- Apply an anti-fungal cream to your feet daily, such as CTS Clarus Anti-fungal Cream.
- You DO NOT want to put this between your toes! It will make the area ‘too wet’ and cause more problems. We recommend CTS Clarus Anti-fungal Solution or CTS MacerRX Web Gel to treat fungus between the toes. These products won't make the area wet.
- Spray your shoes daily with an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial spray, such as Clean Sweep. You need to kill bacteria in the shoe AND your skin, so there's no cross-contamination and reinfection.
- Alternate shoes, this will allow each pair to ‘air out’ between use.
For more information or if you have questions about athlete’s foot and the treatment options, please call me at 309-661-9975 or schedule an appointment. I'd love to see you!