Telemedicine & Home Visits
At Heartland Foot & Ankle Associates, the health and safety of you and your family has always been our top concern. That has never changed.
The question, now, is this: with more and more people being asked to stay at home to contain the spread of COVID-19, how do we continue to offer essential health services to our patients while keeping that commitment?
One important way we’re doing this is by offering telemedicine services.
Telehealth enables you to meet with Dr. Lockwood or Dr. Rizvi for a virtual appointment via a video call. No need to come to the office!
Who Can Have a Telemedicine Appointment?
Currently, we are offering telemedicine as an option for patients with non-urgent concerns. This includes most initial examinations, most follow-up appointments—really any kind of visit that doesn’t require us to directly administer a physical test or treatment in order to be valuable and useful.
If you aren’t sure whether your situation applies for a telemedicine appointment, please give our office a call and ask! You might be surprised how much can be accomplished over video alone! And by making this an option to our patients, we’re providing safe and extremely efficient access to care that benefits our patients and keeps them out of the hospital system.
What Do I Need for a Telemedicine Appointment? What Should I Expect?
The only things you really need are:
- A device capable of communicating via audio and video. Virtually all smartphones are capable of this, as well as laptops and tablets manufactured within the last several years. Desktop computers can work too, as long as you have a webcam and microphone.
- A stable Internet connection.
You do not need to download any special software or apps, or set up any user accounts to have your appointment. The call will be made using a stable, HIPAA-compliant connection directly within your existing web browser.
You will need an approved web browser (Chrome, Firefox, and Safari are supported), but almost all devices come preloaded with at least one of these browsers already. If for some reason you do not have any of these browsers (for example, you previously removed them or your Windows device only came with Microsoft Explorer or Edge), you can download one below:
- Google Chrome (all major desktop and mobile platforms supported)
- Firefox (all major desktop and mobile platforms supported)
- Safari (Apple platforms only—macOS/iOS)
One day before your appointment is scheduled, we will send you an email with instructions on how to connect. Keep an eye on your inbox, and call our office if you don’t see it or need help!
Other Quick Recommendations
In order to get the absolute most out of your call, we also recommend that you
- Have the best, most stable Internet connection possible. Shut down or disconnect from the Internet any other devices that might be using the same connection (streaming services, other computers/phones not being used on the call, etc.)
- Have a quiet, well-lit space to conduct the call.
- If possible, recruit someone you live with who you trust to be present with you during your appointment. They can take notes or operate the camera as needed, allowing you to fully devote your attention to the appointment itself.
Can I Still Have an in-Person Visit?
We are still seeing patients in person, both in our office and by making home visits.
To slow the spread of COVID-19, we are currently only seeing patients with urgent foot care matters in the office. This includes issues such as:
- Heel Pain
- Foot Pain
- Diabetic Foot Care
- Broken Bones
- Ingrown Toenails
We are taking all necessary precautions to ensure your safety while in the office. In addition to our normal cleaning procedures, those measures include:
- Sanitizing all high-traffic and high-touch areas an additional three times daily
- Social distancing by placing all patients entering the office directly into a private treatment room
- Doctors and staff wearing surgical masks and gloves.
By treating these urgent foot care matters in the office, we are keeping you out of the already taxed hospital system.
Patients with certain, specific non-urgent care needs may request a home visit from Dr. Rizvi. Home visits are only being offered to patients who:
- Have been fever- and cough-free for the last 30 days
- Have not traveled within the past 30 days
- Are not under self- or doctor-ordered quarantine
If you are interested in converting your scheduled appointment into a home visit, please call our office and we will be happy to help.
More Options to Get You the Care You Need
Again, the health of you and your family is always the most important thing to us. But even in the middle of a pandemic, you deserve high-quality care for your feet and ankles, to the greatest extent possible.
That’s why we’re working so hard to provide you with convenient, accessible options to address your concerns quickly, effectively, and safely. If you have an urgent need, or would like to explore telemedicine or home visits for your routine care, please contact our office today at (309) 661-9975.