The treatment of fungal toenails is an ongoing process. Fungus is alive and well everywhere in our environment. In order to truly clear up a fungal infection, we attack the problem both from the outside in (topical medications, vitamin supplements, shoe sterilization, sanitary pedicures) and from the inside out (FDA cleared laser therapy).
When you have fungal toenails, it’s simply an embarrassing condition. You look down at your bare feet and see unsightly, ragged, discolored, and brittle nails that make you want to cover them up and hope they clear up on their own.
Unfortunately, the fungus responsible does not go away without professional treatment. Further, it only worsens over time when left unaddressed. We do have some good news, however – our advanced, highly-effective laser therapy for fungal nails can make a major difference!
At Heartland Foot and Ankle Associates, we pride ourselves on being THE Center of Excellence for treating unsightly, thickened and discolored toenails. There are many new treatment options available to comprehensively attack ugly toenails! Once confirmed as a fungal infection with a simple nail biopsy, we attack the nails in two main ways:
First, from the outside in ~ topical medications will help prevent recurrence and will also minimize fungus spreading to other toenails. Treating any additional athlete’s foot (fungal skin infection) is also critical to avoid spreading a fungal toenail infection. We utilize a topical anti-fungal medication in the mornings (Clarus Anti-fungal Solution) and a urea-based medication at night to soften the nails and allow the morning medication to penetrate more deeply. We even have options to treat your shoes to prevent spreading!
Secondly, we attack fungus from the inside out ~ either with traditional oral medications or with new innovative laser treatments that penetrate deeply into the nails to attack fungus where it lives in the nail bed. We have had the fungal nail laser therapy in our office for over a year and have seen dramatic results – up to 90% clinical improvement in our patients!
Our Laser therapy is the latest, fastest, and most innovative treatment option for fungal and ugly toenails. This state of the art technology uses red and near infrared light waves to deeply penetrate the nail to burn away fungus. It is more effective than any other modality currently available!
- Quick, painless, in-office procedure
- Alternative to prescription medication
- Safe and effective treatment
- No side effects, no down time
What Causes Fungal Nails in the First Place?
Fungal nails are embarrassing because they look so unsightly. Your nails might look yellowed or discolored. They might also be thick and brittle. In addition to looking bad, your toenails might actually cause you pain, making it difficult to wear your favorite shoes.
So what causes this to happen?
Fungus can penetrate your nail through a small cut in your skin or in the small separation between your skin and nail bed. When your feet become damp from sweat or after showering, and then get confined in your sock or shoe, the fungus grows. Additionally, blood flow in your feet is not as vigorous as in the rest of your body, making your immune system’s response weaker and the fungal growth stronger.
Put simply, fungal toenails are a matter of microscopic fungus getting underneath your nails’ hard keratin tissue and then festering there. The warm, damp environment down there is perfect for the pathogen to grow and spread. As it does, your nails develop the aforementioned symptoms.
When a fungal infection worsens, you face an increased risk of having pain, secondary infections, and even ingrown toenails as a result. An especially severe infection even causes permanent damage to the keratin.
How to Stop Fungal Nails
In some cases, you can stop fungal nails using a non-prescription topical cream. Although over-the-counter preparations might work to relieve symptoms for the short term, many of our patients have found that the fungus reappears. For true and lasting symptom relief, it is time to see a podiatrist.
At Heartland Foot and Ankle Associates (HFAA), we offer a unique fungal nail program to help you feel better and get the treatment you need. In this program, we help you stop any pain caused by the fungus and regain confidence in your nail’s appearance. Here are some of the ways our fungal nail program might be able to help you:
- Topical medication. If the over-the-counter medication worked well for you but you’re seeing your fungus return, you might benefit from a prescription topical medication.
- Oral medication. Sometimes, it’s better to treat the fungal infection from the inside out. With an oral medication you can boost your immune system and treat the fungus more effectively.
- Nail removal. If the fungal infection is severe, you might need to remove the nail to fully eliminate the fungus. This is only done in extreme circumstances.
- Laser therapy (see treatment options below). Our advanced laser therapy allows us to use painless lasers to eliminate fungus in your nails. The number of treatments you need will depend on the severity of your fungal nail.
How Laser Therapy for Fungal Nails Works
Fungal toenail laser treatment uses focused, high-intensity beams of light to reach the infection site residing underneath the hard keratin – without having to surgically remove the nail or send medication through your bloodstream. The laser travels at a very specific wavelength to pass cleanly through your nail. The specific wavelength we use is chosen because it allows the laser to vaporize the offensive fungus without damaging your toenail or its respective nailbed.
Once the infection has been eradicated, your body will start to begin producing healthy, clear nail tissue.
The actual procedure is quick and painless. It takes roughly fifteen minutes and most people experience only a slight warming sensation in their toes. After the treatment session is over, there’s no additional recovery time needed. You can simply go about your normal daily activities.
It’s important to know that even though healthy, uninfected nail tissue starts growing back immediately, it will take several months for them to grow completely and look healthy. This should be expected because your toes have to entirely replace all of the tissue that had been damaged by the fungus. Of course, having the infection eliminated enables the process to begin sooner than it otherwise would.
Once they are clear, you will need to take certain steps to prevent reinfection. The human body is incapable of developing an immunity to fungus, so your toenails could be at risk for another infection if you aren’t careful. No need to worry, though – you aren’t alone! We will help you take the right measures to keep your nails clear and healthy.
You have been asking and we listened! We now have two great payment options to give you access to our FDA cleared laser therapy for fungal nail treatments! Many patients have told us that it would be great to have an opportunity to pay as we treat and we are now able to offer that to you!!
PRICING EFFECTIVE January 1, 2019
Pay as You Go
- Day 1 $999: 1st laser treatment. You also receive your CTS kit, ShoeZap, and 50% off Keryflex coupon.
- Day 30 $499: 2nd laser treatment.
- Day 90 $399: 3rd laser treatment.
- After Day 90 $199: Maintenance laser treatment(s).
- TOTAL INVESTMENT: $1,897 (not including the cost of maintenance lasers)
Pay Today to Save $399
- Day 1 $1,498: 1st laser treatment. You also receive your CTS kit, ShoeZap, and 50% off Keryflex coupon.
- Day 30: 2nd laser treatment.
- Day 90: 3rd laser treatment.
- After Day 90 $99: Maintenance laser treatment(s) 50% off the Pay as You Go price!
- TOTAL INVESTMENT: $1,498 (not including the cost of maintenance lasers)
0% Financing Available*
- Care Credit makes it easier to get the treatment you need without delay with 6 months of 0% financing for qualified applicants. CareCredit gives you flexibility and convenience when managing your family’s healthcare expenses and helps you reserve your cash for other expenses. The CareCredit credit card can be used at more than 165,000 healthcare and veterinary practices across the country. It only takes minutes to apply, ask an HFAA team member to apply!
- Apply today to get the care you need!
- * Subject to credit approval, interest will be charged on the promotional purchase from the purchase date if the promotional purchase is not paid in full within the 6-month promotional period. Please visit CareCredit.com for full details or ask an HFAA associate – we’re here to help!
Keryflex Nail Restoration System
Keryflex is a safe cosmetic treatment that restores the appearance of natural beautiful toenails. Keryflex uses polymer resins and special activators to create a durable artificial nail in place of your damaged nail. There are no side effects or down time after Keryflex, you can even get a pedicure or paint your nails!
$99 per treatment, $25 for each additional toenail
Don’t keep walking around embarrassed by your thick, discolored nails! Have confidence and show off your feet with pride by getting treatment from HFAA’s unique fungal nail program. Call (309) 661-9975 today to schedule your appointment with Dr. Lockwood today.